Wednesday, June 24, 2020

On the Road

It turns out I am extraordinarily busy getting ready for a 4-week roadtrip, so blogging has been pretty sparse. BUT! But. We are on the road. Today is day 3, Wednesday, and we left on Monday very early in the morning to head to Grand Canyon.

I imagine I won't have too much to say, as being an only parent on a roadtrip is very mentally, emotionally, and physically consuming. I am very much missing having my partner on this trip. For so many reasons! The ability to tap out is big, along with him missing the fun of course. He would have loved some of the sights we have seen.

I had a moment, on the drive within the first few hours, where I felt anxiety and panic swirling. I was alone, what if some creeper decided to follow us, really what could I do? I mean, pepper spray and bear spray will only get you so far. I felt, for a moment, like a stray animal that was caged and looking for a way out. Poking and prodding at the edges, holding it together but just barely, while sheer terror lingered below the surface.

Eventually, about halfway to the Grand Canyon, it quieted a bit. I knew I just had to get past the hump of making a possibly huge, dangerous, irrational vacation plan on a whim... but since then, I've been perhaps too tired to concern myself too much with my anxiety.

We made it to Grand Canyon in great time, about 7 hours and were able to drive straight to Mather's Point. I did a reveal with the girls, closing their eyes and filming their reaction. Impressed, perhaps, but also rather Meh. Aaaahhhh kids.

I mean, I did only plan one night here as really, it is Summer and I sure as heck am not going to drag them below the rim on a hike. We checked into our hotel, did a quick dip in the pool that angered my oldest and soured her mood for the rest of the evening (pool was too crowded, so I pulled them away to their dismay) and I did a little less than stellar parenting in the forest near sunset. Got some pics, watched the sunset Yaki Point, and headed back to the hotel. There were a bunch of elk on the drive in which we got some pictures of, and thankfully the park was not collecting fees. I did have a National Park 4th graders pass that should have worked, if needed, but I had yet to try it out.

We left early the next morning. As we pulled out of the hotel, we saw a huge elk stag 20 feet away in the parking lot. We watched him pee, and then lick it. Nature at its finest.

We drove much of yesterday but made it to Moab early enough. Sunset in Arches at the Windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment