Saturday, June 27, 2020

The Tetons

I've had zero internet other than my drives through town, so this will be brief. But DEAR GAWD this place is lovely.

And like, no one wears masks.

Bathrooms were an issue right off the bat. I had planned much of the first few days of driving around Starbucks stops, but quickly realized that nearly all had closed their restrooms. McDonalds, on the other hand, had not. While you can't eat in, most McD's you can saunter in and use their restrooms fairly easily. The odd teenager working there certainly isn't keeping tabs on you, and prolly doesn't give AF even if they were.

So those became our regular stops, and as a result, my kids have consumed an extraordinary amount of chicken nuggets. My kids are SoCal kids. They don't eat a ton of fast food. We are damn snooty with our diets, usually, but that goes out the window when you are on the road for 8 hours with cranky small humans.

The girls asked me how to make a perfect marshmallow. I was so happy to show them (Eric is the light-her-on-fire type and I'm happy to see the girls coming to their sense early in life, that quality is better than quantity). We ate s'mores, melting the chocolate next to the flame first, as is the perfect method.

We never found a moose, which was our ultimate goal, but saw some amazing sights in the Tetons. GORGEOUS area. Perfect weather. Amazing mountains and wildflowers. It was hard at first, taking them on hikes by myself. Scary, because if an animal came at us then "I" was the protector. I had my bear spray but still, I certainly don't want to have to use it (especially on a moose! Who knows what that would do). Anyhow, we picked a few low-impact hikes and survived. Took lots of lovely pictures, saw crazy antelope and barns and deer and bison.

No comments:

Post a Comment